Sunday, May 24, 2009

Watching paint dry...

Who said it was boring? I can't imagine a better way to spend a beautiful May afternoon.



It seems like a number of the most unpleasant tasks I've been putting off were sitting on my front porch. The bird poop on the cushions of my porch chairs. The unpainted stand I picked up alongside the road for free. The pile of kitten-pooped towels that need to be shaken out and washed. The porch table that needs to be moved out of Molly's reach so she doesn't climb up it, launch herself off over the rail, and hang herself (which she nearly did the other day. Dogs! Stupid humans--me!)

I've been ignoring them all for awhile.

I took a great course in college with Richard Creel. It was on B.F. Skinner and how all we were (as selves) a product of our environment, period. When we discussed whether or not free will could exist in such a state, Dr. Creel pointed out that you could choose to change your environment, and therefore change yourself.

;)

So if I am not completing Task A, B, and C, the thing to do is undertake Task D, which will force me to complete the first three.

So today I picked up a gallon of green semi-gloss porch paint and...painted the porch.

Which meant the poopie towels had to be picked up, the table moved, the cushions may as well get scrubbed off, etc.

So here I sit an hour later, watching paint dry.

And yes, that is my glass of wine on the railing that I have painted out of my reach. And no, I did not wade through the garden to fetch it from the other side. I did indeed pour myself another little glass of wine.

Because I am, at heart, a lazy girl. And I really want to enjoy watching my paint dry.

5 comments:

Sharyn Ekbergh said...

I am a lazy girl at heart too. But I always have a long to do list.

las794 said...

LOL--good way to trick yourself into getting your chores done!

Fiona Kathleen Hogan said...

Lazy?

I don't quite know anyone who works as hard as you do ;P

sabula said...

I have to agree with 2Vamp. I wish I had half of your persistence and determination.
I love the color that you painted the porch. Did you use regular paint or porch paint?

Wildrun said...

It's porch paint. And I liked it so much (Behr Premium Plus Porch and Floor paint) that I picked up a gallon of gloss beige and am repainting my dining room floor, which was previously Valspar satin, and didn't look as nice as this.