Thursday, May 21, 2009

Spring is finally here



The garden is cranking out rhubarb, so I've put some out at the farm stand for sale. If it doesn't sell--it's not like we get a lot of traffic here--I'll cut it up and freeze it. I made a rhubarb strawberry crisp at Mother's Day. Mmmmmm...there really is nothing better than rhubarb.



Bear has come to terms with the dog outdoors. He has learned to avoid getting decapitated by the cable Molly is clipped out on, and he has learned that the best way to avoid getting "puppied" is to just walk head-on toward her without pausing. That puts her on her guard. Shy nervous cats are more fun to chase! So while life is still "interesting" inside the house, at least outside all is calm.

Spring also means dining outside. I have a shaker basket that works great for veggies, so tonight I looked in the fridge and freezer, dumped in some leftover chicken, frozen shrimp, and frozen broccoli, cauliflower, and broccoli, tossed it with some dressing and a little coriander pesto, and threw it on the grill.



It was more than I needed, so Bear got some pieces of grilled chicken, and Molly cleaned up the plate. Well, except for the green beans. It was clear green beans were not a hit. But broccoli and cauliflower? Cool!

After seven days of treating Molly's eye with a mild ointment, I think it's time for a trip to the vet. I'm concerned there may be an eyelash irritation issue going on there. We'll let the vet decide.



Bear was rather appalled at the unfair distribution and stared intently as Molly cleaned the plate.



Fall used to be my favorite time of year, but I think spring has overtaken it. Perhaps the proximity of winter to fall has something to do with it. Both, however, are so fleeting. But this is the perfect place to enjoy every season.

Right now my side yard sums up my life. Cat under the picnic table, dog by the porch, lawn mower ever-present, house that needs constant tending, but all in a setting that makes it totally worth it.

2 comments:

las794 said...

Your place is really beautiful. :)

KaiBlue said...

Aloha..
your home is lovely and your kitties are precious.
I only have one right now, but he's cute..so I forgive his transgresions.
lol.
peace, kai