Friday, October 2, 2009

Yeah, yeah, another "today is the first day of the rest of my blah, blah, blah..."

So much to do, so little time. Every Friday arrives with a "let's get everything done for the week!(for employment)" attitude, with the hope that my job is all tidied up so I can commit to a sleeves-rolled-up, get-personal-things-done weekend. But 6:00 pm arrives with work left to get done over the weekend, and Monday arrives far too soon!

Nonetheless, the optimism of Friday morning remains.



In the interest of splitting work from regular life, I finally saved enough to get one of those dirt-cheap little netbooks so I am no longer doing anything personal at all on my work computer. My desktop computer upstairs has finally picked up so many quirks it is virtually unusable and needs it's brain wiped by someone who knows what they are doing. I held off for months on the netbook, waiting for the price to fall. I wasn't familiar with the cheapest option from Acer, so hesitated to get it. Then I spotted one of our primo tech guys sporting one at a work meeting and figured "hey, if he'll be seen in public with it, it must not be a piece of crap."

I always gritted my teeth checking my personal and cat email on my work computer, and taking it to adoption events to show off the cats just wasn't an option.

So, nowadays you can get a miniature laptop for $300 bucks. It doesn't have much space to store lots of programs and files, but files can be stored on flashdrives, and there's something to be said about not being able to download all sorts of crap you don't really need, anyway. This thing is fast enough for surfing, blogging, handling photos, etc. that I don't notice any difference between it and my laptop.

It doesn't have much volume, so if you have hearing issues, check that before you buy. You can use headphones if needed.

And it can go anywhere. I can even access most of my work files and work email via the internet, so if I want to work from another location I can do so without risking the work laptop. No more excuses for not updating my poor neglected website!

So no more excuses about not advertising the cats the way they ought to be, or not getting personal work done.

Speaking of employment, off we go.

3 comments:

Kristina Strain said...

We love our netbook, too! (And it's an Acer, too.)

Wildrun said...

Aren't they great? I was prepared for it to be a rattletrap piece of junk, and it really is a little laptop. and you can carry it around without your bag screaming "I have a laptop in here --- steal me!"

B said...

They're definitely useful. You also don't have to be limited by the relatively small standard hard drive. Purchasing an external hard drive case and watching for hard drives on sale that can basically be pulled out of the case when full can provide you with as much storage as needed at an economical cost and allow you to leave the integrated hd unencumbered by large files that will invariably eventually slow the machine down.