Monday, October 5, 2009

Warming things up for winter



I finally got the carpet down in both rooms, which was a bit of an adventure since some of the furniture in the den was quite heavy. Trying to fit in projects between all the other things in life has been adventurous as well. I had to concentrate on cutting the carpet slowly and carefully, rather than in my usual slapdash manner...keeping in mind the carpet was expensive.

The carpet became a priority because it was in the way and I need to have people over to adopt kittens.

My home is finally becoming the home of a grownup. I have the decorating sense of a college student in a dorm room. I can't envision what is best for a space, and I also feel like I should use whatever comes my way, when perhaps the best use for the thing would be the garbage or Craigslist. The best part of the major changes in my life these past 17 months is that I now have a new willingness to just get rid of things.

I have resigned myself to the fact that I will only stumble over good room arrangement by accident. I originally wanted the carpet: A) because painting the floor beige last year looked good, but required too much upkeep and B)it was freaking cold in here last winter.

Now that the carpet is down, it draws the entry room and the den together, and it makes the den look like--well--a real room. The area rug that had been in the den (black with a brown aztec-type design) was moved to the great room for lack of another location. I was certain it would be too "busy" for that space. But, surprise! It has instantly transformed half the great room into an area that is positive cozy. The great room? Cozy? Who would have thought.

Sheer accident.

In addition, the carpet, which appeared brown-orange-coppery under the lights at the store, looks like milk chocolate here, and the ceiling in the great room is dark brown. So now it looks like I planned this to tie the two front rooms in with the great room.

Sheer accident.

At least I'm no longer stumbling over huge rolls of carpet, and my tootsies are quite warm, thank you.

1 comment:

Sharyn Ekbergh said...

it looks lovely and I love yellow.