Saturday, January 24, 2009

And it's not even February

I promised myself today there was no leaving the house until certain chores were finished.

The Christmas Tree, for one. I would like to report it is safely out in the back yard, and the great room has been thoroughly vacuumed. Pine needles will, of course, continue to edge out from magical hiding places until approximately next September.

I also put on my boots and gathered up the bows from the fence and the barn. Ah, farewell Christmas.





I stopped beside the bird feeder to revel in chickadees...nearly 20 of them. I have a variety of additional visitors: doves, Downey and Hairy woodpeckers, tufted titmice, blue jays, cardinals, both red and grey squirrels, and of course the deer. The feeders are alongside the path to my porch, and the birds are quite bold. I believe the soft rapid-fire flutter of chickadee wings may be one of the most beautiful sounds in the world.

I tried to take some photographs but alas, my 4 year old digital camera is becoming pixel-challenged, and darting chickadees are beyond its capability.

However, it can still handle a zonked cat basking in front of the fire.

No comments: