Saturday, January 24, 2009

Am I really, hopelessly, cat-centric?

I'm the first to admit I love cats more than dogs. I especially love kittens more than puppies. I expect some of that is that any four-week old kitten can use a litterbox, but it's going to be quite a bit longer before a puppy figures it out.

I have a great appreciation for dogs. Having a dog is like having a seven-year-old son on a good day. They want to be with you, they appreciate every good thing you say about them, they have boundless energy, are smart as a whip, they love life, their eyes just SHINE, and they want nothing more than your approval.

Like I said, a seven-year-old son on a good day.

Sadie was Mark's dog. She like me well enough, but it was Mark she loved. I've often wondered what having a dog of my own would be like. Given my travel schedule, I know better than to adopt one now. When thinking about "The Future Dog," I waver.

A shelter dog? (Note: bad move, I've met Murphy, nearly adopted him, and didn't know he would be on Stray Haven's pet list) or a breed rescue dog? More to the point, a Great Pyr

I grit my teeth and remind myself over and over and over that I sometimes am traveling twice a month, and I don't want to kennel a dog. It's just not a good time to adopt.

So today, when I was visiting the Kitschen Sink, I experienced one of my other great weaknesses. Secondhand stuffed pets. Yes, seriously. An art garage was not a place I expected to have to confront this weakness of mine. And a stuffed dog, no less. I kept coming around to look at him sitting there on the floor. Surely he would be too expensive...

Not. That's the problem with secondhand stuffed pets. Cheap as hell. Damn!

So, we now have a dog. The older cats are seriously freaked. I had to move him off the bed but Ditzy still won't come in the room. The Terrorist kittens think he's pretty cool.



Unfortunately, now I've visited Murphy's pet note. Damn again! And Cary is IMing me to say she'll gladly dog-sit. Of course, she's in Pennsylvania, not exactly around the block.

Oh yes, I did buy some art at the art garage, although it was a wee little thing, given my commitment to buy a bigger piece. And here it is:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry it's taken me so long to find you here, Susan... I got you added to my blogroll. Nice place!

On a side note, all our dogs (4 of them) are great with cats. I keep bringing home strange cats and the dogs just sniff and wag and go about their business. It's quite cute, actually. Our tiniest cat, TJ, was recently sleeping between the front paws of our 100 lb. German shepherd.

georg said...

I can dog sit if the dog will get on with Max and Rascal. We're closer than PA. And the dog can't want to jump our three feet fence. We don't mind walkies (except when it's single digits or lower). Low energy pups a specialty. We're always home- we both work from home, and Jazz is always home with the dogs if I'm gallivanting about.