Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Catching up

I'm fairly certain I bought this chair for me. The cats, however, have given it their seal of approval. Thank goodness the fur vacuums off without much effort.



I realize I have been MIA for quite awhile. I've been adopting out kittens (not as fast as I ought), cleaning the barn, painting the bathroom (I'm not quite sure where that came from, but it happened), working, working, and of course, working. Oh yes, and getting trucks repaired.

By far the nicest thing that has happened in my life is the new Bishop's Inn in Spencer. The newest owner has ditched the "Main Steet Cafe" name, and is serving comfort food. All due respect to the previous incarnations, but Spencer just isn't big enough to support eclectic cuisine, and no one makes enough so pay over $20 for dinner. The Bishop's Inn has breakfast for well under $5 (there is always a $4 special), and lunch and dinner under ten bucks. They have a nice long comfortable bar and two large screen TVs tuned to the news during the day and sports at night.

And it's FULL. Seriously. I went in on Friday night and there wasn't a table seat to be had.

Additionally, the food is really good. I wouldn't even want to hazard a guess at the calorie load on the food there, but hey, it's not like you are getting health food at McDonalds.

So hey, let's go!



They also have Wi-Fi and I've taken my netbook in a couple of times to work. So now I can get out of my box without traveling more than three miles.

This is a good thing, as I've been experiencing vehicle angst. The white truck may have reached the "just needs a $5 part but it means yanking out the engine to replace it" point. The blue truck is back on the road and running well, but it's nearing 200,000 so it will constantly need maintenance. I would have no problem buying a new car with my credit rating, but frankly, I can't add a car payment plus new car insurance right before winter.

I'm hoping to limp by with the trucks, but if the white one is unsalvageable, I really should use it for a trade-in, because if I do get a car, I want to keep one truck for trash and hauling. I can't sell the white truck and buy a car later, because then I won't have a trade in. And I can't just park the white truck until spring, because it probably would be junk by May. Although I could try storing it in the barn and hoping for the best.

Drat, drat, drat.

At any rate, should I get a new car, I'm leaning toward the Kia Soul. And no, it's not just because of the hamsters. Although, let's be honest, those darned hamsters did get me to pay attention.

1 comment:

GD said...

Welcome back! You were missed. About the car...I would say, get the best for the money you have to spend. Consumer Reports ROCKS for data about body integrity (do things break and fall off? Fade or crack?) to the transmission, engine etc. Also, look for a car with a great manufacturer's warranty! Good luck...keep us updated!!!