Wednesday, November 25, 2009

What I am thankful for

It has been a long year and a half.

I used to be most thankful for a love I thought I had. It was really difficult to realize that person had been play-acting for years. I am sorry he felt he had to, and wish I had been more observant for his sake and ours. I am surprised that I am not over it, but nonetheless I am glad the relationship has ended. It wasn't until recently that I realized I was not being true to myself, my friends, or my family, because I was self-conscious about who I was to my own partner. It's just as well he's gone, as we were clearly not a match. I'm afraid I'm not generous enough to wish him well yet, but I expect at some time I will. When that happens, it will be a very good thanksgiving.

I am thankful, most of all, for my family, my friends, and all of the people who have to into my circle due to the rescue. I cannot believe the kindness and generosity I have experienced. It is something I might not have known under other circumstances. One of the most amazing things I discovered is that almost all my friends and supporters have experienced similar or greater challenges. They basically knit their fingers together, said "put your foot here" and gave me a strong boost up onto the horse's back (if you have never done this, or had it done for you in reality, it means a person is willing to get their hands covered with barn muck in order to throw you up on a saddle because you aren't yet big or strong enough to do it yourself).

I'm thankful for my job, even though it involves far too many hours for a normal human being. It has put me in touch with leaders in the field of animal advocacy. It has sent me where I would never have been able to go on my own. It has introduced me to people who want to make a real change in the world. It has thrown me into the lives of truly lost souls who need help. It has wired me in with the population that is 10 to 20 years younger than me, as well as 10 to 20 years older. It has placed me in a unique frame of reference that I could never have hoped for as a local independent rescuer.

I am thankful for the cats. And you know what?

I AM NOT A CAT LADY. I AM A CATALYST!

At the last conference I attended, a dedicated young woman said to me "I hate that term 'crazy cat lady.' I want to come up with something new."

She is a catalyst, too.

Unwanted cats cost this nation millions of dollars each year. Like lawyers and politicians, it's hard to be a "good" cat lady because the stereotype is so ingrained and there are legitimate concerns about animals hoarders an disreputable rescue groups. But like many lawyers and many local politicians, there are so many of us who are professional and dedicated to our communities.

Every time I help ONE person, the gratitude is overwhelming. These balls of fur that come into people's lives cause people great distress and concern. We live in a society that isn't willing to take a litter of kittens, bundle them into a pillowcase with some rocks, and toss them in a local creek.

Thank goodness for that. A person who won't kill kittens is probably going to stop and ring your doorbell if they notice your newspapers are piling up or your car hasn't moved for days.

And to those who say "Why do you spend all your time on cats when kids need help?" You know what? If your kid stumbled in front of a car, a cat lady would throw herself out there faster than any other person on the street. As food bank requests and ambulance service requests come into my mail, they all go out with a small check, because you know? All of those people are warriors and deserve what small amount I can give them.

No matter what your service, if you give to others, you are a warrior and a friend to me.

Happy Thanksgiving.

And thank you to everyone who has given to me, even if it has been only a kind word. Thank you to everyone who comes back and reads this regularly. Your dedication is a gift to me, and to the writer of every other blog you read.

You know who you are.

4 comments:

cathy said...

How nice and I love this...
I AM A CATALYST too!

Meg said...

You remind me of myself--if I'd been stronger, and more faithful that things would work themselves out with my rescue group. If it hadn't burned me out so thoroughly and completely.
I admire your hard work and passion for this; I know how very hard it can be, and how rewarding it also can be. I love reading your blog--keep up your awesome work, and keep your balance. You're a blessing to many people and animals, and certainly an inspiration to me.
Happy Thanksgiving :)
B

Chrissykat said...

I wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving. Today, I am thankful for your dedication to your rescue and to your cats. May their bellies be full of "turkey & giblets" today! Have a peaceful day doing what you love...

p.s. I wish I had a great cookie recipe to share but alas, the kitchen & I do not get along!

phillip said...

i am thankful for you. without you, i shudder to think where i would be. because of you my little grey self is stuffed with turkey and flies. the people say that they are everlastingly thankful for you, too. tho they miss curtains. :) hope you have a happy thanksgiving!