Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Summer ends; fall begins; nesting



My neighbor around the corner used to have a "perpetual garage sale." This year she held no sales at all, which was sad because I enjoyed knocking around in them, but is just as well for me, because this woman doesn't stock junk and I always found something to buy. She has a knack for finding very cool, antique to near-antique stuff. Monday, I was running into Ithaca to feed the cats and realized she had her sale up...the only time this summer. Argh! On the way home I stopped by, and of course found something silly to buy for $3--a cat doorstop (signed, but I can't read the signature) that I am using to hold open the screen door on the den.

I'll know life is back to normal when that screen door is back in the barn.

Then I discovered she was the person who left this note. Well, I probably would have helped her had I realized it was her...but it's just as well I didn't, because she caught the little cat on her own, took it to the vet, and the cat is now living as happy as a clam in their house.

So there you go.

I'm down to three kittens in the house because Francine is at the off-site cage at Cornerstone. It seems nearly quiet here! That will end, since I have four in the barn who will soon come in, or go to foster homes. Still, at least they are going out about as fast as they are going in.

I'm waiting impatiently and happily for my carpet to arrive. The thought of having floor covering that is clean, one color (versus countless throw rugs), and a color of my own choosing, thrills me. And two rooms with matching carpet, running into one another? You mean...continuity?

I'm not quite sure what's up with the gold and brown theme that is running through my life lately. I've decided not to wonder about it. For some reason I look at colors ranging from deep gold to copper and think "I want THAT." Well, okay, fine.

Sometimes I think "There's too much yellow and gold in the house." Then I get the same attitude that I did with the tattoo. Who the hell cares? It's my house. It's not like there are hundreds of people passing through here. It's probably more important that I like it, because then I'll keep it nicely. People are more likely to notice that the house is clean than "gosh, all her rooms are yellow or gold."

Speaking of tattoos, I continue to be very pleased with mine. I have no regrets at all...not one tiny twinge.

These days are so gorgeous. I love fall. I try not to think about the snow that will fall soon and enjoy these beautiful days.

No comments: