Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Go, young traveler, to Chicago.



Oh, hell, go even if you are old. What a gorgeous city! It's hard to keep in mind that, like all cities, it has its challenges. With my train and part of the hotel paid for by work (I paid for the extra night I stayed over), a great conference, and two half days to wander and learn, it was a rare opportunity to take a few breaths and a few steps for myself.

I love traveling alone. While companions are treasured for laughter and sharing (and sharing again, afterward), there is something to be said about sitting when you wish to sit, eating where you wish to eat, napping on a bench in the sun, pulling out a book at your table during your meal, falling asleep with the TV on in the hotel, and deciding to spend the last hours before the train leaves stepping from water taxi to water taxi to watch the city grow dark and the lights grow bright on the river.

Beautiful. Just beautiful.

I went to Chicago with three goals for my free time: Eat really good food, visit the SkyLedge, and buy a ring. (I buy a locally made ring, when I can, everywhere I travel). I did eat, I did get up to the Ledge (the regular windows had better views, IMO), but I couldn't find a local craft jeweler anywhere. I guess I needed to wander over to The Magnificent Mile, but time was too short.

The water taxi more than made up for any ring. I love finding beauty for just a handful of dollars, and it probably was the most beautiful experience I've had in any city.

So now I am home and inspired by the Feline Forum. I can't say I'm rested, but I'm certainly revived.



(the view from the water taxi, approaching Navy Pier, around 7:00pm)

No comments: