Sunday, December 21, 2008

Well, it's ordered...



I went into Ithaca and ordered the new fireplace insert. At the cost of them, I understand why people limp by with the old ones. Nonetheless, they are a big chunk of metal and stone, and the price is understandable. When you are spending that kind of money, it's almost like "what the hell, let's order the fancy pewter door, too!" (pictured in the stock photo above) but I was a good girl and stayed with the basics. It will be pretty enough as it is, and, let's face it, I don't think I've ever noticed what type of door my friends have on their woodstoves. I've just noticed A) whether I can see the flames and B) how much heat it gives off!

Given that I've had two fuel oil deliveries already this season, and the last one was for $580, this insert, installation, and chimney lining would be paid for after six or seven deliveries. So 2-3 years, tops (keeping in mind my fuel oil also heats my water so the entire fuel bill isn't whole-house heat). That's a pretty fast payoff.

IF I cut my own wood instead of purchasing it.

Installation day is January 7. Sadly, it's after Whiskers in Winter, but still, that's quite a timely order-and-install date, so no complaints here. We'll still have the fireplace in the great room.

There is some irony that it is being purchased with natural gas lease funds.

No comments: