Saturday, December 20, 2008

The things I learn by blogging

Even from my own family! Mom sends this email:
I read your blog with the cookie recipe. I'm happy that you're carrying on the tradition. My grandmother brought the original recipe from Germany. It was made with only honey and the cookies had to sit about a month until they softened up enough to be edible. Also--everything she cooked or baked went by amounts that were "handfuls; pinches, dashes", etc. My mother finally had her cousin Jack translate things into actual measurements (except the flour) and he was the one who replaced half the honey with molasses which makes the cookies softer. Jack was a baker and set up the bakeries for a grocery chain. Thought you might enjoy knowing the family history. This is why you will never find another recipe for "Mom's" cookies that's the same. It's an original from our family.

I know mom must have told me this at some point (I distinctly recall being told about the "pinches" "dashes" and "until it feels right".) But I had forgotten the rest of the story.

Well, I think I'll have another!

No comments: