Sunday, June 6, 2010

Creamed corn pancakes



I was sulking through my cupboard and refrigerator this evening, grumbling. Nothing to eat. Nothing to eat. Unless I wanted to eat chicken soup -- again (on sale, 50 cents a can last month at the Shur-Save, so I bought about 20). I cast an eye at the cans of creamed corn I had purchased to make scalloped corn. I was just too weary to deal with baking.

I seemed to me I should be able to fry something up, but all the recipes on the internet for "creamed corn pancakes" seemed far too involved. I was able gather some ideas of what, in general, was needed to make corn pancakes stick. I threw together something quite simple:

One small can creamed corn
two eggs
about twelve crackers, crushed
That's it!

I used Multi-Grain Club crackers.
I think next time I would use unsalted saltine crackers.

Mix, spoon onto a medium-hot frying pan, add a tiny bit of pepper while cooking, and there you go.

It made seven small pancakes, which would be enough for two people if you had something else along with it. I didn't, so five of them became dinner for me, and they were quite good. I may throw in some diced fresh tomato next time. Probably all sorts of things could go in there (a bit of spinach, etc.).

The one pancake in the picture looks like it has a bit of tail. In fact it's the cat on the plate. :)

The cats and the dog all requested a bite of the last two pancakes. I gave them a small amount. They would have eaten them all up, but it didn't seem to me that corn was a great option for feline and canine digestive systems.

9 comments:

Chrissykat said...

I have those plates too. :)

Donna said...

Sounds and looks yummy! I'll have to try it. Thanks for sharing :}

Chrissykat said...

p.s. speaking of cooking...did you find a spice-rack yet?

GD said...

I have those plates, too! You, Chrissykat and I must be totally cool people! :)

Wildrun said...

No spice rack yet! And speaking of plates--so sad--they were a gift from a friend, and they arrived all wrapped and gorgeous on my porch on my then-husband's birthday. We assumed they were a present for him (although the wrapping paper was a bit feminine) and then he unwrapped them and....CATS! Poor guy.

cathy said...

hahaha, on the ex that is.

Chrissykat said...

Oh no...too bad you didn't get to open your own gift but that was a pretty funny story! I can only impagine his face. :O

Chrissykat said...

p.s. see what I get for not proof reading...

Wildrun said...

It was pretty sad. It was the first time I'd ever felt bad about getting a gift! But I like them very much. :)