Sunday, May 16, 2010

Comfort food of spring -- Rhubarb

I ran into Alice in Wegman's today ("mom" to Elvis and formerly-Lulu, whose adult name I am spacing on). I offered her a rhubarb plant, as I have three on the flat I need to move, and I don't really need five producing plants and can easily spare one. She reminded me of the rhubarb crumble recipe she had sent me last year. Of course, I have lost it, but I found one on the internet.



Sadly, I took two large bunches of rhubarb over to my mom and my sister last week, and then forgot it in the car. Maybe I can get some more over to them before the season ends.

Rhubarb crumble is like a crisp, made with chopped rhubarb, orange juice, cinnamon, butter, and oat-butter topping.

Cook Time: 40 minutes, 375F
Total Time: 40 minutes

Ingredients:

* 3 cups chopped rhubarb
* 2 tablespoons orange juice
* 3/4 cup granulated sugar
* 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1 tablespoons butter, cut in small pieces

* Crumble Mixture:
* 1/4 cup melted butter
* 1/3 cup brown sugar
* 2/3 cup sifted all-purpose flour
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
* 2/3 cup quick cooking oats

Preparation:

Arrange diced rhubarb in a buttered 8-inch square baking dish. Sprinkle with orange juice, 3/4 cup sugar, cinnamon, then dot with the 1 tablespoon of cut up butter.

Combine melted butter with brown sugar. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda; mix with oats. Combine the flour oat mixture with the brown sugar and melted butter mixture. Spread over rhubarb. Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes. Serve warm, with ice cream or whipped topping.

3 comments:

Kristina Strain said...

Ooooh, yeah. My favorite rhubarb recipe is a magnificent Strawberry-Rhubarb Crumble with cornmeal biscuit crust. Who else but bon appetit could dream such a thing? The recipe's on their website, if you're interested... :)

Anonymous said...

Lulu is Darla! She finally swats back at Elvis when he relentlessly mauls her. What's the point in having massive paws if you don't use them to your advantage?

Looking forward to the rhubarb!
Alice

Anonymous said...

Lulu is Darla. She finally swats Elvis back when he mauls her relentlessly. What's the point in having massive paws if you don't use them once in a while?

Looking forward to the rhubarb!

Alice