Friday, February 12, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day to me, and you, and you....



I understand that some people don't like Valentine's Day. I liked it quite a bit once I was free from the elementary school "you-have-to-give-everyone-a-card-but-you-give-the-homely-cards-to-the-unpopular-people" cruelty aspect of the Big Red Day. Once you grew up enough to be allowed to have real friends instead of popularity-contest friends (were you one of those people who really actually kind of liked the girl with greasy hair and bad glasses, and were ashamed that you didn't dare to show it too much around other people?)---after those days passed away, I found Valentine's Day to be quite fun. Luckily for me (now) my previous-other-half professed not to like Valentine's Day (like many people). Therefore, I'm not wistfully staring at red roses and hearts wishing there was someone to give me some.

What I miss the most about Valentine's Day are the cheap boxes of cards that had puppies and kittens and flowers on them, instead of trademarked cartoon and movie characters.

Anyway, I planned to use Valentine's Day as an excuse to go to my local florist. It's one of the local businesses I never go to because I never buy flowers. This seemed like a good excuse. There was a big sign that they had Valentine's roses by the dozen for a $15.99, so I pulled in.

But when I walked inside, what did I find but purple carnations. In FOUR different shades.

So guess what I got.

Happy Valentine's Day, all around. Here's to silliness.

Post note: OK, now I can reveal that I also Teleflora'd flowers to my mom. I'm not ENTIRELY flower selfish!

5 comments:

Chrissykat said...

Your purple flowers are just lovely. For me, Valentine's Day is about the day after...when I can get those yummy conversation hearts for half off!

las794 said...

A beautiful bouquet!

Wildrun said...

Conversation hearts are the best candy in the world. For some reason the ones in the little boxes taste better than the ones in the bags. I know they are exactly the same. Still.

possumlady said...

I have to say that my best Valentine's gifts were always from friends or family.

Absolutely LOVE those purple flowers.

Happy Valentine's day to you and all your kitties!

Stephanie said...

I don't usually like carnations, but they look beautiful in purple. Happy Valentine's Day.