Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Making the homestead a home

Now that less-freezing weather has arrived, I dedicate myself to improving something on the house, yard, and farm each day. My hope is that I may have some time for relaxation when full summer rolls around. I'd love to have the house entirely painted by the end of June, for example. I also look forward to removing all of the "catch-alls" of junk. One of those "catch-alls" was a half-removed raised bed in the side yard.

Bear was an able assistant as I dug up the remaining dirt, pulled out flagstones from the garden wall in front of the house, and built myself a little patio and firepit. This removed the temptation of purchasing a commercial firepit and is a far better fit with the look of the house...and my wallet.






I'll let the grass creep in around the edges, but keep the design in the middle clear of weeds. The millstone was here when I moved in. The bricks I found by wandering around the farm with a sharp eye for cast-aside things. So there are a few more things that I was tripping over that now have a purpose.



There was a flowerbox kicking around on the porch--part of a gift from one of Mark's students one Christmas. It now also has a purpose in life.

A walk in the garden this morning, coffee cup in hand, revealed seedlings that pushed forth after yesterday's soaking rain. Today the sun is supposed to break free. Soon I'll be eating out of the garden!



Spring is good.

1 comment:

Kristina Strain said...

Great firepit! Curse city ordinances against open fires, I want one, too. :)