Saturday, June 23, 2012

How many posts can you title "So much to do?"


Weekends start out so hopeful. It seems like such a large expanse of time stretches before you. Once Saturday is over you have---wonder of wonders!--all of Sunday!

Since getting a "career job" eight years ago, this hopeful feeling has mostly been squashed. Saturday I usually get in my inbox to take care of the things I need to wrap up from the week before. Sunday I jump in to get set up for Monday. All around me is a house that may or may not be messy (depending on how good I was at keeping picked up after myself), and of course people I promised to help, during the week, that now, hey, I REALLY ought to be helping.

Oh well! At least it is a gorgeous day. The kind of beautiful breezy sunny morning you may only get in the east, with all its thick leafy trees and scads of singing birds. Every area has it's own kind of "Beautiful", but every time I contemplate leaving this area, no other regional beauty feels as homelike as this.

This week, the fledgling Spencer Farmer's Market opens. Valarie stopped when she was driving by to remind me, but I actually had it on my radar. Sadly, if you want the fresh Finnish bread, not frozen, you have to be there at 9:00 am, not 10:00 am. I'll remember that the next time I go. I did pick up blueberries, some greens for dinner, and a bar of local soap. I refused to even look at the flowers. As much as I love buying local flowers, I have to remind myself that $8 is a couple of dinners, and there are flowers in my own fields if I would just get out there and pick them.

There was produce, jewelry, and quilts, jam...a nice combination of things for a teeny market. I will start every Saturday there, when I am home.

Alas, they were out of peas. Hopefully Mandeville's will have some the next time I go by.

So I have many many many many things to get done this weekend. The days are now getting shorter instead of longer. Summer will escape me. Luckily I have vacation and plan to start taking Fridays off, which will stretch my beloved weekends to a manageable space of time.

I'm sure my family and friends feel the same. So much to do, so little time. I guess the important part is trying to enjoy those tasks.

It's hard not to enjoy them on a beautiful day like this!

No comments: