Thursday, February 24, 2011

Three-day weekend--and trying not to waste it

Note: I put this in "draft" and never completed it. Sigh.

I think anyone who lives in a snowbound state will admit that February is a pretty lousy month. There is always that hope that winter will miraculously melt away and not come back. Reality, however, keeps knocking, with repeat snowstorms and harsh winds--often the day after a rare gorgeous day in the 50s.

Like today. The harsh day, I mean, after the beautiful warm day.

Not the warm day. That of course fell on a Friday, when most folks are working and wishing they weren't working.

When you work from home, owning a dog is rather like being a smoker who works in an office building. You get free breaks. For some reason, an instant message that "I have to clean the cat box" ("why don't you wait until after work to clean it?") doesn't have the same get-out-of-jail-free impact of "Walking the dog, brb!" You don't have to ASK to walk the dog. You just announce it in IM, and go.

Should I ever part with Molly, I don't think I'll tell anyone she has been adopted into a family with three dog-loving children. I'll still announce "Walking the dog!" and then go cuddle with my cats for fifteen minutes instead. ;)

To be a cat-owner working from home is rather like being an overworked non-smoker at the office, enviously watching those smokers pick up their pack and say "Be just a sec!" on a beautiful sunny day.

3 comments:

Northmoon said...

Some of my cats come and bug me when I'm on the computer. Sometimes I give them a quick rub and keep typing, but sometimes I say to myself "stop and pay full attention to the cat!"

possumlady said...

Are you thinking of adopting out Molly? Enquiring minds want to know...

You inspire me and give me hope. I need to not constantly berate myself for not cleaning up the entire house in an afternoon. Like you said, just little bursts of work inch me forward and do take the stress off. Maybe, just maybe I'll finally vacuum! I've purposely left the vacuum up in my living room to remind me. It has been mocking me for 3 weeks now! If I can do that one thing when I get home tonight, I'll pat myself on the back.

Sharyn Ekbergh said...

I'll go and take a Harper hug break. He'll be in his room, waiting for spring.
You're right about the soul sucking winter. Even though I cross country ski we're into snow fatigue here especially after these last few days.