Sunday, February 6, 2011

Things I've been meaning to do...house history

About five years ago (or more) Mark and I found our way down to the Spencer Historical Society (no web page). The volunteer docent on duty took us to their records room and looked up photos and information on our house and the Ferris family who lived here. Woodbridge Ferris was born here.

The docent, who I am fairly certain was also an officer of the Society, said we could have copies for cost. We did not expect them to deliver them right to our door, which they did. We gave them an extra few dollars and also became members. I've tried to keep up the membership since then.

The photos kicked around in a plastic sleeve and we would pull them out from time to time for visitors. One day we got concerned that we might bend or accidentally spill something on them, so we filed them "some place safe," meaning to one day frame them and hang them up. We filed them so safely I was never able to find them again.



Yesterday I was digging through files, getting ready to box some up, when the pile slid over on its side and the sleeve fell out and I snatched them up and scanned them for safekeeping. Later, I was in Ithaca, and went wandering through the Dollar Store. As I passed through the frame aisle, my eyes fell on a frame that, for a mere buck, fit the "feel" of the photos perfectly. Before the photos could turn into yet one more task that I put off, I bought two frames, brought them home, and put the photos up on the wall.


The raccoon photo was given to me by a wonderful older couple in Groton when I was first starting out in wildlife control. They had raccoons living under their bathtub, coming in from under their porch. In addition to paying me, the gentleman gave me the raccoon photo (taken by trip-wire at South Lake in the Adirondacks in the early 1900's), an old oil lamp, and a potted spruce tree which, sadly, did not survive transplanting in the spring.

I put the family kitchen things mom had recently given me up on the shelf since they seemed to fit the theme. I think I'll frame up some other photos of old houses I've lived in and prop them on the shelf as well.

Here is my house now. Well, in warmer times, that is.




The lilac by the gate in the buggy photo is still here, along with the hole for the gate post. I think next spring I'll pound a new post into that hole. Maybe I'll top it with a solar light and a little brass plaque about the lilac and this place. I'd love to get a NYS historical sign announcing the old Ferris Farm as the birthplace of Woodbridge Ferris, but I can't afford $895. Maybe when I retire. ;)

4 comments:

Kim Wolterman said...

How fantastic to get the old photos of your house, and to learn its history. I researched our 1902 home several years ago, and a trip to Chicago hooked me up with the granddaughter of the house original owner. She was able to provide me with several old photos of our house as well. I write about house history research at myhousehistory.net if you are interested.

Chrissykat said...

So glad you stumbled across those wonderful photos of your house back in the day. They look great framed and displayed. I LOVE lilac and think it's just so great that the orginal is still there...wow!

Sharyn Ekbergh said...

My family's house on Cape Cod was built in 1845 and I just ordered a plate for her. It was 80.00, hand made. We have photos going back to my great grandmother.

Northmoon said...

I love the way people spread themselves out in these old photos. Even the dog is posed a few feet away from the next person, sitting very formally. It seems to me nowadays everyone jams together, all buddy buddy like, more casual I suppose.

So nice to have the history of your farm.