Saturday, March 6, 2010

A decade of procrastination

Ain't it funny what you'll put up with, for SO long.

There's a possibility I may get a housemate for a few months, which means it's time to paint the upstairs. Three rooms had been done since we moved in, but need freshening. One room was never done. And the hallway...UGH! It's still old dark nail-up panel sheeting. The door between the hallway and the back bedrooms is the original paint, and is filthy. None of the trim has been repainted. I've turned a blind eye to it because..well, who cares? But now someone might have to live up there--not just stay for a night.

I mean, look at this light:



The house came with those square light covers, you know, the ones you smash the first time you take a sweatshirt off underneath or try to move something tall? Yeah, those. So when we smashed them one by one we did replace the one in the bedroom (with the most boring fixture imaginable--probably the cheapest) but slapped a regular shade on upside down on the hallway light.

The other two bedrooms have no hardwired lights, so we have something like this:



So today I went shopping for lights and a door for the bottom of the stairs. A solid door would be nicer, but warm air in the winter, and cool air in the summer, needs to make it up those stairs.



It ran over $200, but you know what? The money I saved by stopping drinking at home paid for it. So there you go. One good reason to stop an expensive habit.

I also bought a crowbar in my "replace the tools that belonged to Mark, one by one" campaign.

Then there are other shabby areas of my house that haven't been an issue. Who is going to see my spice cabinet? Who needs to decipher their labels? Up until now, no one.

I failed to take a photo of all the bottles of old stale spices that I threw out. It was rather alarming. Mark and I went through this thing about five years ago. Five years is a long time.



Spices are expensive, so anything that seemed like I should keep until I could afford replacements I did keep. Anything unlabeled or that just smelled like dust went into the trash, bottle and all. I wanted to shop the bulk spice area of Tops (which, surprisingly, has more options than Wegmans) but they didn't have the things I needed. The spices in the baking aisle were way too expensive, so I figured I'd just get one at a time.

Then I stumbled into the organic aisle and discovered small bottles of spices for half the cost of good old McCormick.



So now I am back in action. The fifteen-year-old cream of tartar is gone. The little envelopes of red stuff are all gone (could be cayenne, could be regular paprika, could be hungarian paprika--who knows?) Ditto with the baggies of green stuff--probably a product of two days a half-decade ago when I played with the food dehydrator. With the exception of one jar, all of the "ghost of Mark" handwriting is gone.

We're getting there!

What does your spice cabinet look like? Could I cook from it if I were over at your house?

13 comments:

Chrissykat said...

Growing up, I had a great fondness for my mom's spice rack. We moved a lot & it was always staple wherever we lived & one of those things that meant "home." Along the way, she got rid of it & I was so disappointed. Well, years later & voila!...eBay! I found the very same spice rack & snatched it up! My first eBay purchase ever. Since then, they've become quite popular & go for much more then I paid (whew!). I love it more every time I look at it. I'd love to post a picture of it but I don't know how. Oh, and yes, you could totally cook from it!

p.s. I wish I could come help you paint...I'm a good painter. ;)

Wildrun said...

I would love a spice rack, but it would have to hang from the wall, and I haven't found one that is large enough for the number of spices I use. My friend Alice made me a gift of a magnetic spice jar and I've bought more for the spices I use more often, and stick them to the refrigerator right next to the stove. Some day I will find the spice rack of my dreams. I never thought to check eBay!

georg said...

If you look above the stove, there is a double layer carousel that holds my spices, and yes, you can easily identify what you want.

The teas on the other hand are mainly in unlabeled jars...

Chrissykat said...

Mine hangs on the wall and holds A LOT of spices. I'm going to try and send a link to a photo of what mine looks like.

http://pinkylarue.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=55&products_id=116

Not sure if the link will work but if it does, you can enlarge the photos to get a good look at the inside and outside. It's the best spice rack ever!

Stephanie said...

A few years ago I bought 16 little glass spice jars with metal lids from Pottery Barn online (super clearance). They have been sitting in a box because I don't really cook much. I have since decided to use them for beads when I get my craft room sorted out. The few spices I do use can stay in their original packaging.

Anonymous said...

Uh oh! Susan, your blog is now costing me $$$$! I just purchased the spice rack Chrissykat sent a photo of!

I order spices from Penzeys.com. My favorite is their Vietnamese cinnamon! They always send a free sample jar with your order.

Glad you use the magnetic spice jars!

Alice

Susan Greene said...

Good, Alice! You just saved me $100. I'll want to see it sometime!

Chrissykat said...

Yay! I'm glad someone else loves this spice rack as much as I do! I hope you enjoy it Alice.

Susan, keep checking eBay. Some folks sell them for less because they may have some damage or wear. The Three Mountaineers racks are from 1965-1970...they should have wear! I think there are 5 different cabinets (the model I have, and Alice has!, is the largest). Good luck & be sure to tell us when you find that "spice rack of your dreams!"

C~

Anonymous said...

Susan,

You may see it sooner than you want. Where the heck will I put it when it arrives? I think some remodeling is in order lol!

Alice

Helena said...

We don't have a rack, we have our spices in a cabinet. Everything is in its original container, with label, so anyone could cook from it, provided they were patient people who didn't mind a little digging around, as they are organized by what we use most frequently, not by any easily discernible system. My mother, on the other hand, has little baskets in her spice cabinets (yes, plural--mom is an amazing gourmet cook), and her spices are all arranged in alphabetical order!

Wildrun said...

Alice, that spice rack counts as wall art, so you can hang it anywhere there. Once you have it up, I'll come over for coffee to help admire it, and then decide if I should buy one of the others I see online. There's a medium sized one, as well. I suppose I should learn to be a better cook, first!

Wildrun said...

Thanks, Helena. I was beginning to think I was the only person in the world with her spices in a cabinet instead of a rack!

Chrissykat said...

Good morning! FYI: There's a Three Mountaineers Spice Cabinet on eBay right now with 4 days left. It is currently $26 w/ $13 for shipping. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370353809466&category=13932&sspagename=rvi:1:1v_

p.s. any word from Alice on her cabinet yet?