Sunday, January 17, 2010

Fan, continued, and local boys in longjohns



9:41 am - The coffee is brewed, and the blanket-covered chair attests to the fact that yes, at 3:15 am a 20-something young man did in fact show up on my porch in ratty longjohns and workboots, apologizing profusely and begging to use the phone. He made the call on the porch while I got my gun and the blanket. I'm still wondering what that was all about.

9:42: I now own a wire-stripper and know how to use it.

10:05: Do I stuff all these wires through the hole back up into the box, or just leave them in the body of the fan? I guess this is why they have on here "If you are unfamiliar with wiring, you should use a qualified electrician."

10:16: It would appear to me that when I lift this fan to screw it to the ceiling plate, it is going to come unhooked from the support hook, and I'm going to be holding the fan up with one hand?

10:20: I was right, and I dropped a screw. These tiny things are really the only thing holding that up there? Who designs these things? I hope the screws are made out of titanium or something.

10:24: I dropped a screw again, this time inside the fan. Which mean I must disconnect all the wires, take it down, and shake the screw out. I believe this is where other people start drinking again. Thank goodness for coffee and blogs.

11:04: Hey, pretty! I could wimp out now and not install the light...



11:40: OK, enjoy this photo before I blow it up when I turn the power back on:



11:42: It works! It works! It works!



The kittens find it fascinating. The adult cats could care less.

There. Now my long-suffering family and friends no longer have to hear about the damned fan, and I have more space in my closet!

6 comments:

Chrissykat said...

Yippee, it works! "Fan"-tastic job! (sorry, wow that was bad!).

And maybe it's best that you don't know what longjohn-boy was up to at 3:15am...eek!

Enjoy the warmth of your success.

las794 said...

Woo hoo, you did it! :)

Fiona Kathleen Hogan said...

I'm sure you felt like hurling the fan though the window at some point, but that was hilarious! :))

Congrats on the spiffy ceiling fan!

Nancy Cusumano said...

You Rock!

Anonymous said...

You go girl! The kitties will love you if you blow some bubbles toward the fan! This is also a good way to see which way the air is moving--you want the warm air pushed down in winter.

Alice

georg said...

Occasionally tape a ribbon to the end of one of the blades. Kitties will go nuts playing with the ribbon. IF you don't tape it firmly, there's a time limit on the game and they shouldn't injure themselves.