Sunday, June 7, 2009

Molly earns her keep

I'm not sure why I got a dog. I guess because it "just happened"...rather like the cats that come into my life (and, hopefully, go out again, into someone else's).

One rationalization was that I would be forced to get out and about, because unlike cats, dogs do not take kindly to being ignored. I can't keep her stuffed in a crate all day, or tied up, so we go for walks.

Well, you can only walk up and down your own road, or up the hill, "X" many times before things start looking exceedingly familiar. So I've been running errands after the blaze is off the sun, so I can take Molly with me without her frying in the truck. In a quick trip to Owego yesterday in search of cheap Tiki-torches (so the bear doesn't fall over me as I sit in my side yard at night), we stopped at a park in Owego, to visit the stony creek. Much to my surprise, there is a nature trail there.

I had no idea.







There were far more human artifacts than natural ones. An old house. A railroad bridge (in use). A small sand and clay bike jump (complete with graffiti-covered bench).



This whole area--and much of Owego--was underwater during the flood a few years ago. My truck would have been four feet underwater where I parked, and I'm guessing this ribcage was washed against the tree far over my head when the waters receded. Whether it was mere bones then, or a dead deer, I can't guess.



I expect to spend the summer finding other places to explore now that I have a furry little midget staring at me with a waving tail that says "I'm bored I'm bored I'm bored I'm bored!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That train bridge photo is to die for! Wow! That's a beautiful beautiful shot!