Friday, January 18, 2013

Poor neglected blog and home improvements

Yikes, almost a whole month since my last post?

Work has been busy. Busy in a good way. I'm headed into a three day weekend and I'm thrilled.

I've been doing some work on the house...ripping up old carpet, etc. and once the sun is shining the right way again, I'll take some more photos, but my bedroom upstairs (which I seldom sleep in, since I like to crash downstairs in the winter) now looks like this:


I ripped up the old carpet after peeking under a corner and seeing unpainted hemlock boards. Perhaps I could sand and finish them? Well, after I began ripping up the carpet I discovered they had been partially painted, and...oopsie....the "floorboards" were actually the ceiling boards of the den below.


...and you could see right downstairs. So I went at the floorboards with pale green paint and caulk....


It's still a major improvement over 20 year old brown industrial carpet, which looked good when we moved in, but had experienced some serious wear and tear both before and after our arrival.

Here is the other half of the room:


The table and chairs I picked up alongside the road from a "free" pile at a neighbors.

This entire room was redone to accommodate the rug I purchased off of Amazon.com. The ferny one. I might have had too much wine when I purchased it, but I'm glad I did. I received a gift card via work. I could not spend it on bills, so I targeted the house. While surfing around, I found the ferny rug, and somehow ended up buying it, expecting it not to arrive for weeks. In two days, it was on my doorstep. Well, I assumed, it would take weeks for the wrinkles to fall out. Nope, it laid flat as soon as I unrolled it, and I had a friend due to come and stay two days later. That meant making the room accommodate the new rug, which meant ripping up the old one.

Then the friend couldn't make it. Oh well...it was great incentive to rip up old stinky carpet and paint and caulk floors!

The cat in the photo is Tommy, with his permanently runny eyes, and thick fur that makes him look tubby (he's only seven pounds although he looks about fifteen).

One nice thing about the gap in the floor is that the heat from the woodstove make the bedroom the second warmest room in the house. Also, when I play music downstairs, I can hear it upstairs. If new owners in the future don't like those options, they can just lay down a hardwood floor, or put down a pad and carpet again.

I'm not sure my taste matches the rest of the world, but personally, I love it. :)








1 comment:

las794 said...

I love the ferny rug and the color of the floor! Very nice room. :)