Monday, September 6, 2010

Discovered a new place in Owego

The rooftop "beergarden" at Tioga Trails in Owego (photo from their web site)


A little brain-dead from two days of adoptions, I wandered down to Owego to meet Gretchen, but our usual watering hole was closed. The Parkview was also closed and dark, so Gretchen suggested Tioga Trails. When we got there, the proprietor started to seat us but then asked if we wanted to "visit the roof now or after" and since I'll take any opportunity to visit any roof at any time, I said "now."

We entered a street-side door that we had previously passed, and climbed up four stories of brand-new steel stairs to a new wooden fenced deck with a covered bar overlooking Owego. The woman behind the bar told us it had only been open two weeks.

It was a beautiful place to spend a September evening, sipping Mojitos ($4, or $2 for a half-sized drink--cute!). Dinner could be ordered from the restaurant below via cellphone (Order "to go" and they'll bring it up. Although you'll ended up eating out of stryofoam, at least your wonderful leftovers were already boxed. The food was excellent - $11.95 for the pasta dishes we had).

Then the crowning touch arrived -- "Ted" the dog, who played dead when you pointed your finger at him, would "shake," and also gave double-pawed "high-fives." Ted scored lots of sweet potato fries off me (I broke them into small pieces as treats) and I got my big-dog fix for the week.

So, all of my local readers, before the cold weather rolls in, I suggest you watch the sun set from the roof of Tioga Trails this month. They are open Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Maybe you'll get to see Ted.

"Ted" at the Tioga Trails rooftop garden (Photo by Gretchen)

No comments: