Sunday, July 25, 2010

Blueberries



I'm not a big fan of blueberries from the store--even so-called 'fresh' ones. It seems like they are always bruised and warm, not to mention expensive. Today I was coming back from Ithaca with a load of cat litter. It has been raining all weekend and I've gotten very little done in the line of house projects. At the "BLUEBERRIES" sign I paused and turned right. I'd been meaning to check this place out for years and today seemed like a good day.

I drove up the hill. And up. And UP. AND UP! I finally found the place, and I was the only one there. The owners came out on their deck and when they heard I only wanted a pint, waved me toward the bushes. "Just go anywhere." I guess if I'd been after gallons they would have sent me to where the most berries were ripe.

Oh, it was beautiful. Rows and rows of blueberries about 1/4 ripe. It was raining just a little bit, the paths were all mowed, and the blueberries just rolled off into my hands. I only had five bucks on me and didn't know how much they were, so I only got about a pint and a half. I came back out to my car, tapped my horn, and the owner came out to weigh my berries. He was only charging $1.85 a pound, and I had less than a pound. I gave him two bucks and told him to keep the change.

If anyone wants lots of blueberries, I'll be happy to help you pick on some cool and cloudy day. I forgot to put a hat on (yes, there were a few deerflies) but picking would go fast.

When I left, I discovered that if I continued to follow the road, it dropped me right at the end of my own road, and it was only three miles home.

I'll be going back.

5 comments:

christy said...

i love love love this place!!! may be going today. or soon. funny, i was thinking of bringing you some if i get to it. :)

Wildrun said...

Let me know if you want help. I would gladly help you pick. I only like them fresh, so I would never get more than a pint or so at a time. And they are so close to me it's no bother to drive up.

christy said...

i think linda and i are going this evening. we pick tons... pies, jam, etc. want to meet us? it would be nice to see you!

Wildrun said...

Didn't see this until evening. Drat! I hope you got lots!

Gretchen said...

I'll go with you sometime. It'll have to be on the weekend though. I'll let you know. Fresh blueberries sound wonderful.