Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Key West blogging





One of the most interesting things I've discovered about being on my own again is that I talk to strangers now. When I was part of a couple, there was a lot of "it's you and me against the world" going on. It's understandable that when you are traveling with someone you love, you share your observations with that one person. There is less need to converse with those who are simply walking by.

Now I'm by myself. It's me IN the world. And vacations are a different kind of relaxation now.

I was quite shy 20 years ago. I expect my various jobs have had a lot to do with me coming out of my shell. When I was single back in my 20s, I used to envision myself as an observer hiding in the forest, looking in at the ring of light around a fire, where all the other people were. I didn't mind that existence. It fit the lone wolf image I cultivated at the time.

I'm not like that anymore--for better or for worse--and I've discovered there is a fantastic freedom in talking to people instead of just watching them. I supposed most people know this already.

So, okay, I'm a slow learner.



Most people in Key West are, of course, from somewhere else. I discovered a jewelry vendor/artist on a pier with his wares laid out before him (click photo to expand). He was dreadlocked, tanned, and originally hailed from Delaware. I bought two necklaces from him--one for myself, and one for my friend Nancy who has helped me through hell this past year. I could have purchased similar necklaces in a shop along Duval Street---or even in Ithaca for that matter. But they wouldn't have been strung in the sun on a pier with the wind blowing, and the cash wouldn't have been passed from the hand of the buyer to the hand of the artist.



Post note: LOOK AT THAT WATER SPARKLE. I swear, I'm going back every year.

1 comment:

possumlady said...

Having traveled with various boyfriends years ago, I have done almost all travel on my own for the past 15 years. I'm very reserved by nature but something does come over me when I travel alone. I do get much more gutsy. I've traveled to France twice, went on an african safari and flew up to Churchill Manitoba to join up with a tour group to watch the polar bears migrating through town.

Each time a couple (whether a married couple, two women friends, or two guys) took me under their wing a bit. Asked me out to dine with them, etc. Nothing too intrusive. I've met some wonderful folks that I never would have if I traveled with someone else.

It does have its drawbacks. Honestly it can be quite exhausting dealing with everything on your own. But, the rewards are great, too.

I feel like we think a bit a like--even though you like strawberry twizzlers!?